Our books are described to the best of our ability, if you are not sure of something
or you are particular about certain aspects then please ask,
we will be glad to answer your queries or elaborate on the description or content of any book.
Our books are described thus:
- NEW: We don't sell new books! but may describe 'like new', 'as new' or 'near new'
- the book will have very little signs of being used.
- EXCELLENT: (or 'Fine'). A book that
will have very little noticeable wear other than light shelf wear or in the case
of older books some natural ageing.
- VERY GOOD: A book that generally looks in good
condition usually with light wear apparent often on the jackets of hardback and
on the covers of soft cover books, on older books this is likely to include some
natural ageing, any notable defects will be described.
- GOOD: A book that looks obviously in used condition
and has noticeable wear, the more major defects will be noted.
- FAIR or POOR: A book that is excessively worn or disfigured,
we do not normally list or sell such books unless exceedingly rare or desirable.
If a book has markings or inscriptions it will be described thus, so if this is not mentioned then you
may assume that it is free from inscriptions, writing etc.
If a hardback has a dust wrapper (dust jacket) then it will always be described, e.g. DJ, DW or HB/DJ, if it is
not assume that it does not have a dust wrapper.
Soft cover books and paperbacks rarely have dust wrappers.
In common with other book sellers we use some abbreviations and terms in our descriptions,
here is a short glossary in case there is anything you do not understand:
- dw d/w dj d/j: Dust Wrapper, Dust Jacket - A Hard Back book with dust wrapper.
- HB: Hard back book with no dust wrapper unless description otherwise.
N.B. some hardbacks are not issued with wrappers and may be described as 'HB no dust wrapper as issued'.
- HB/DJ: Hard back book with its original dust wrapper as issued.
- pb: Paperback
- Soft cover: A book with a flexible card cover - does not usually have a dust wrapper
- Closed tear: A tear to a page or wrapper that can be closed back together - thus showing no missing pieces.
- pp: Printed Pages usually preceded by a number e.g. '64pp'
- b/w: Black and white - usually referring to illustrations.
- fep: Free End Paper, the first and last page of the book - usually blank.
- inscr.: Inscribed - often the previous owners name
- Dedicated: Often a gift inscription to previous owner occasionally by the author
- Chip: A small piece missing usually referring to damage to a paper wrapper
- Rubbing: The surface has a mild abrasion, or colour has rubbed onto an adjacent page
If you would like to contact us for further information please email: havebooks.co.uk